Sunday, May 4, 2014

Yom Hazikaron - A Moving Memorial

By Ari Kantor

Well, what can I say.  
There is so much I can say about the experience up till now. For example, I can certainly write about how I made a lot of friends;  I can write about the exciting hike; I can even write about the spiritual experience on Friday night in the heart of Jerusalem.

But at this time, I'm not going to write about any of those things. Less than an hour ago, we had watched a short film about Michael Levin. He was a lone soldier from the Philadelphia area who joined Tzahal because of his passion for the land of Israel, and sadly was killed in combat.  

Like any of my classmates, I had originally thought that it would just be a history video after which we could chill in our rooms. But by the end of the movie, I realized that there had already been passionate feelings inside of me and everyone else. Now, they had just been woken up. I really wish I can explain the feeling, but I can't. I can't call it depression because I am not exactly sad. I can't say I'm happy because I can't quite smile.  I know I can say I feel obligated to write this down because right now, this story is all that matters.  The powerful story in the video is causing one line to repeat in my head: "Even in his death, Michael Levin had shined a light in the hearts of many."  Watching the film about his heroism was an inspiring way to enter Yom Hazikaron.  In addition, we had the opportunity to attend a tekes (ceremony) and I was honored to be the KBA representative along with students from the different youth movements who placed a wreath as part of the ceremony.  

No comments:

Post a Comment